Thursday, April 12, 2007

Running and Urges

I've been in such a funk lately.

I haven't been in a grouchy or bad mood. I've just felt like doing nothing. The last few days I have done as little as possible. We've done school work but by the time we are done with that I just want to lay down and sleep the rest of the afternoon. I think it's hormones.

Anyway, yesterday was much of the same. Me, moving ever so slowly. The kids running circles around me. I felt like I had to push, push, push myself to accomplish anything.

So I got some dinner fixed and decided that I was going to go run. I hadn't left the house in 2 days (I had only stepped outside once, I think) and some fresh air and exercise would do me good. But as I was getting my running clothes on, I got an incredible urge to go shopping. I didn't want to run, I wanted some new clothes. I started scheming a plan in my head. I was going to act like I was going running, but then stop at the atm, take some money out of savings and go shopping for myself, by myself. Surely that would make me feel better. Who cares if I spent money I was NOT supposed to spend, I would have some cute clothes and maybe a new pair of flip-flos to show for it.

I headed out the door and down the road. But as I was driving, my car went into auto-pilot and I drove straight to my usual running spot. So I got out and started running. I ran and ran. I ran for 4 miles.

It's amazing what some fresh air and exercise (and prayer, which is what I do while I run) will do for your spirit. I feel a lot better today than I would have if I had caved into my urge to spend money I didn't need to spend.

We're getting out of the house today. I think we need a park day!

1 comment:

nicole said...

I'm impressed at your running stamina. I have run one 5K and since doing that (in March) I find it hard to get motivated to push myself any more than that. I admire your fortitude in avoiding the spending spree. I should have more of that. :)