Sunday, June 03, 2007

Back Seat Driver


Micah-3yr. has discovered the world of traffic signals. He even knows what each color signifies. He will tell you that red means "stop!", green means "go!", and yellow means "slow down". I don't know where he learned this, as I did not teach him these rules of the road.
Whenever we are in the car, you will hear him shout, "Green means go!" or "Red means stop!" as we pass a traffic light. At times, when the car is moving past a big intersection with several lights, he will shout all in one breath, "Redmeansstopgreenmeansgoyellowmeansslowdown!" The kids and I get a kick out of him when he does that.
At first I didn't mind his babbling in the waaayy back of the van (I can hardly hear him back there) but now it has gotten kind of annoying. Because now whenever we are sitting at a light, he will chant "Red means stop! Red means STOP! RED MEANS STOP!! ", raising his voice until the light finally changes green in which he then proceeds to chant, "Green means go! Green means GO! GREEN MEANS GOOOO!!" until the car in front of me gets out of my way so I can GO already!
Brooks said he would make a good traffic cop someday. :)

2 comments:

Perri said...

as much as I wanted them to learn it, I hated it when they did because they all did the exact same thing. drove me buggy.

The birthday party looks like a blast.

Anonymous said...

THAT IS SO PRECIOUS!!! Especially about going through a very big intersection-- such simple joys of childhood!

At least he doesn't require you to actually answer him. When we went to California, we went through some canyons and drove along the Pacific Coast Highway. There were tons of signs that said Watch Out for Falling Rocks.

My little 2yo would say in a very loud voice-- Wa' Out fo' wocks, okay mommeeeeee?! Okay?!!!! The volume increased on the okay and didn't stop until you answered back "Okay." This wasn't only when there was a sign or we were next to a cliff. It was whenever we were near any kind of rock-- and over and over and over again without a break!

Slightly irritating-- but a very precious memory indeed!