Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Dental issues

We should get frequent visitor points from our dentist because we have been to the dentist a combined total of 13 times in the last 2 weeks. And we have 2 more scheduled appointments within the next 2 weeks. Think we have bad teeth? I'm beginning to wonder.

Each of the kids went in for cleanings. That counts 5 of the visits. Then we went back last week so they could do 1 filling each on all 5 kids (that makes 10 visits, for those of you that are keeping track). Then we went back today so Brooks could have a tooth pulled and Tyler and Micah both had another cavity filled (3 more visits for a total of 13!). Brooks came out of the room with his eyes glazed over and a wad of gauze in his mouth. The dentist said he did great, handed me some more gauze and his tooth and told me to change out the pads every 30 minutes. Brooks had no clue that they had pulled out a tooth until I showed him the tooth. He said he didn't feel a thing. To me, that's the sign of a great dentist!

We go back in a week so Micah can have one more spot fixed. His dentist thinks he has an enamel deficiency and that's why he is so prone to cavities. Poor kid.

Then we get to go back one last time (until Nov. for cleanings again) so Brooks can have a "space maintainer" put in. I have no idea what the heck that is except that they glue it to his teeth and it goes on the top of his mouth.

So now we are home, the little ones are crabby/hungry/tired but cannot eat anything b/c their mouths are still numb. I think I'm going to let them try and eat some pudding and then put them down for a nap. Maybe they'll feel better when they wake up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope they're feeling better today! My mom used to be a dental assistant. After the initial waiting period of an hour or so, we always were treated with milkshakes-- YUMMY!

Although I think we didn't have a very good dentist. I always had cavities no matter how much I brushed and I most definitely felt the shots and extractions-- ick!

I suppose I need to take my children back in... It has been a year. And don't even ask how long it has been since *I* have been in!

Marsha